maandag 13 augustus 2007

Hornet


Several weeks ago I was granted the viewing of one of nature's most beautiful creatures: a hornet, buzzing around the top of my bed in Austria. It must have been 2 inches long. After carefully removing the hornet from the room with the aid of a glass and a sheet of paper -a prison from which the little bastard attempted to escape with all his might-, I proceeded to draw it. I hope to publish this sketch the moment I have acquired this amazing Scanning Device. What surprises me is the feeling that such a small creature can evoke in a person: a clenching of the gut, one might say, when approaching or touching the critter. Amazing. That such a small being could evoke such a feeling of revulsion in a human! I love it. I think it's a beautiful, beautiful feeling and the animal that causes it is at least as beautiful. What we consider disgust is in fact a defensive instinct: a will to be away from the creature's potentially venomous or -at least- painful sting. This, to me, is proof that we humans are not so different from other animals. That's because I am a fool. Har har har.
You all stink of calamari but some
My humble salutations,
Tristan

Song Of The Day: Get Off My Back, by the Casualties

Geen opmerkingen: